Thursday, June 20, 2013

That Bizarre Thing Mormon Youth Do: Part 3

Me opening my mission call
video

My mission call opening party :)

This is the last segment of "That Bizarre Thing Mormon Youth Do."  I've covered the what, where and now you'll get the why.  But if you think that after this you'll get out of hearing about missions, you should probably go find a new blog to follow.  In approximately 118 days I will be headed to the Mexico MTC and  this blog will switch over to a missionary blog for the following 18 months.  Don't worry though, between now and then, there might be other stuff posted, and I'll try and keep you updated on any mission progress (like passports, visas and other fun stuff)!

So I've definitely been putting off this post.  It's a harder one for me to write because I can't just look up all the facts and try to explain things away.  The why for why missionaries go on missions is different and varies between each person.  It is also more personal.  So please bear with me as I try and explain why I've chosen to go on a mission.

In my opinion, this picture does a really good job about summing up missionary work.

(or 18 months... in my case)
As missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, our purpose is to teach about God, Jesus and what we call his Gospel.  We believe his Gospel is what Jesus Christ taught while he was on the earth, along with principles taught through is prophets; both old and modern day.  That last part, is what sets us, as a Church, apart from other Christian religions.  We believe that God still talks to his people and that he does that through modern day prophets, our current prophet being Thomas S. Monson.  Our message is central to families because it tells how families can still be families and together even after death (that's what the picture means by eternity).  So what does this have to do with my decision to serve a mission?  Well, I've been so blessed in my life.  I've grown up with a loving family and had countless wonderful opportunities.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes life is hard and I've had some hard experiences too, but overall it's been really good to me.  

So why am I going on a mission?  Basically the easiest way for me to say it is love.  Love for my God, my family and just for everyone.  Why not try and share what I have with other people?  For 18 months I will be a missionary and I will serve God.  There is no way I can ever repay Him for all the good in my life, so I can try and do my best to serve him.  

Like I said earlier, the why is not as easy to understand or to share about.  And while I tried to explain it the best I could, it is very personal.  I hope I've answered some questions about missionaries and what/where/why they do what they do.  Feel free to ask questions if you have any.  I'll do my best to answer them.  And next time you see Elders or Sisters walking around, you can even try asking them.  They'd love to answer any questions you might have.


*********************************************************************And now a couple notes completely unrelated to the above post.  1. If you are one of amazing people who actually keep coming back to read my ramblings, you might have noticed a change in outlines and such.  I spent some time going over different settings in my blog and decided that while I liked the orange, this was much more ME.  So, sorry if it confused you, but I needed to match my personality better.  And 2. remember how I got called on a Spanish speaking mission?  Well I already spoke a little Spanish and in preparation for my mission I've been trying to "get it back."  So my computer is in Spanish and I've been watching movies and tv shows in Spanish.  As a result my English may be a little off, I'm sorry about that, I'm still trying though.  Just wait until I get home, then we'll see how much it's really changed...



No comments:

Post a Comment