Wednesday, June 12, 2013

That Bizarre Things Mormon Youth Do: Part 2

Last week I gave you the "what."  What are exactly are missions.  And then I left you on a cliff hanger... but trust me, at that point in time I still didn't know where I was going.  This week is the WHERE.  Are you ready?

I am going to the NEW MEXICO ALBUQUERQUE mission, SPANISH speaking.  I report in October to the Mexico MTC!

Now what exactly does that mean?  Well for starters it first means I'll be flying to Mexico.  Actually... first I'll be getting a passport... but besides that I'll start off in Mexico City.  While I currently do not know the exact amoung of time I am in the Missionary Training Center (MTC), I'll most likely be there from six to eight weeks (that is from current estimations of friends learning their mission language in the MTC).  In the MTC I will be learning Spanish (thank goodness I already know un poquito), along with how to teach.  Our goal as missionaries is to share about God and Jesus Christ and if we cannot effectively teach, then where would that put us?
Mission boundaries
After the MTC and learning how to be a missionary I will fly to New Mexico and start teaching there.  The exact area I can possibly be serving in is actually pretty large, but remember that I'll be speaking Spanish.  And honestly I probably won't see the whole part of my mission.  The Mission Home, or center of the mission,  is located in Albuquerque.  And from there I will be assigned to different areas of the mission to teach!  And as you can see from the map, the mission stretches from all across the state so while I might be serving in the New Mexico Albuquerque mission, I might actually be Truth or Consquences, NM or El Paso, TX.

And now FUN FACTS about anything related to my mission (or missions in general)....
  • The Provo MTC will reach a peak of 3,611 missionaries on July 10th (read about that here).  And for the record, that is JUST the Provo MTC.  There are still 14 other MTCs in the world.  Not all of them are as big as Provo.  I have a friend at the England MTC who reported that there are 52 of them in the MTC and that is a large group.  But still... that's a lot of missionaries
  • The Mexico MTC is opening end of June, beginning of July.  It is replacing a current Church school, Benemérito de las Américas.  150 missionaries are expected to be in the first group sent through the MTC but it will increase as time goes on. The capacity is estimated to exceed 1,500 if needed.
  • Mexico MTC
  • The Mexico MTC will serve missionaries going to Mexico, central American, South American and US Spanish speaking missions (though the Provo MTC will still have teach some Spanish speakers)
New Mexico facts:
Albuquerque New Mexico Temple
  • Nickname: Land of Enchantment, State motto: Crescit eundo (it grows as it goes)
  • 5th largest state in the US
  • average elevation is 5,700 ft.
  • climate is semi-arid to arid
  • 46.3% of the population is Hispanic/Latino according to the 2010 census (remember... I'm speaking Spanish)
  • 28% of the population speaks Spanish
  • Some of the Spanish spoken is the New Mexico dialect which is based off of archaic 17th century Castilian Spanish
  • New Mexico has the highest concentration of PhD holders (due to all the research facilities)
  • important center of Native American culture
  • New Mexico has many large artistic communities (Yay! Art :) )
  • Early October hosts the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.  Hopefully I'll get to see it next year (this October I'll be in Mexico...) but if not, I can always go back a visit :)
Doesn't this make you want to visit New Mexico?

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment