Friday, July 17, 2015

April 7th 2015

To anyone who's been reading this, you know I've been home for 3 months now.  I'm finally getting up the ability to tackle my blog and go through my mission emails and pictures.  Sorry about the delay-

4/7/15
This past week was really good.  But to be honest, I don't really have the ganas to write you all.

But, I know you all want to hear from me. 

Wednesday we had several incredible experiences.  1. We helped the university ward sisters with an outdoor art show that they put on.  It was really cool being on campus and helping out while taking about art and church history!   And Jesus Christ.  I was able to teach on the maintenance men  in Spanish and ended up giving him a Book of Mormon which was super cool.

About 2 weeks ago President also asked us to start parking our cars for 2 days a week starting April 1st.  Well, last Wednesday was the first and so we got a ride down to the university and then we bused home.  And we bused up and down Mesa street.  Do you know hoe much I LOVE the bus!!!!!!  It is AWESOME.  And I regret not bussing earlier.  Yeah, it requires a little more planning, and a little more money taken off our mission cards, but it was so much fun!  And it's a great opportunity to talk to people.  On Thursday we rode again and it was so cool because at one stop the bus driver was ahead of schedule and so he stopped the bus and came back to talk to us about what we do as missionaries and what we believe.  Unfortunately we didn't have an English book of Mormon on us to give to him (we do now!!!) but the cool thing is that he lives on a street in my last area that I walked a ton a times! 

Conference was incredible.  I loved the emphasis on families and eternal marriage and just everything.  I am so excited to go back and restudy everything, especially Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf's talks because our wifi cut out when we were watching conference (they were only broadcasting in Spanish to our church building and so we set up a computer for us English speakers... us, the elders, and a couple other members).

One thing that I pondered over last week was my reaction to President Miller's counsel to park the car 2 days a week.  I read that, and didn't think it was possible.  And I told him that.  But then I got to spend all week thinking about my lack of faith and trust.  If I believe that President Miller is an inspired leader of the church (and I know he is), then  his counsel is inspired as well.  And instead of doubting, I just needed to take a leap of faith.  Which is what we ended up doing Wednesday and Thursday, and you read how it turned out.

When we listen and then heed the words of our leaders we will always be blessed.  Even if we can't see the blessings or don't understand why we need to do something, we need to trust.  And sometimes that's the hardest part is just learning to trust.  Trust in the promptings of the Spirit, trust in the counsel of the local leaders and then trust in the counsel of general leadership.

With conference this past weekend we received lots of counsel.  Some of it spoken verbally and some of it received through inspiration by the Holy Ghost.  I know that I need to go back and reflect on the guidance I received and apply it to my life and I challenge all of you to do the same thing too.  Review the conference talks, review any notes you took and write down promptings received and then remember them. 

"Ofttimes the wisdom of God appears as foolishness to men, but the greatest single lesson we can learn in mortality is that when God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be right." -President Monson

I know that we have a living prophet who guides us in these latter days.  I know that we have apostles and leaders who receive the guidance to help us.  But I also know that we have the opportunity to receive our own personal guidance to help and guide us.  This Church is true.  And nothing will ever change that.

I love you all and I'll talk to you next week!

Love

Hna Hendricks

1 comment: